Tuesday, May 27, 2014
Adventure...
The term "adventure" has a connotations of high-risk and adrenaline.
Climbing mountains, jumping off of tall things, exploring the unknown, running long distances, and the like certainly qualify as adventure...and yes...I do enjoy those recreational activities. However for our family, "adventure" also has a much more encompassing definition...thus the blog title.
It is funny, when I asked Steph to marry me (on top of a mountain...in the freezing cold...light rain...with about a 20mph wind blowing), I told her "I cannot make you any promises about where we are going to be or what we will be doing...in fact, I have this nagging feeling that one day we will be completely broke. But I can guarantee one thing...life with me will not be boring."
We were telling that story to some friends recently and she added, "and he has lived up to that promise!"
But it is not because our family hikes big mountains, or jumps out of airplanes (which is still on my list), or some other adrenaline-based adventure. We have just been taking small steps, learning to die to our own selfish desires (which is an ongoing process), while trying to be faithful with what God is doing in and around us. I have heard it called a long obedience in the same direction.
So by that definition, we are all called in a general sense to our own "adventures."
It looks a lot more like moving out of our areas of comfort and (generally) toward what we as humanity were created for...as well as (specifically) to be "on mission" with God is doing around us. This can look different for everyone. For some it means running a company where employees are respected and excess revenues go toward various ministries. For others it means seeing their job as a repairman as reflecting God's glory as a Restorer of things that are broken and by being a part of His redemptive work by treating customers exceptionally well and fixing things that are broken (understanding that brokenness is a general effect of The Fall). For our family it means trying to hold possessions loosely. It means jobs are an opportunity to help solve problems, lead through chaos, invest in the next generation, and try to create shade for others. It means relationships are valued. All while we work through what it looks like to be authentic followers of Jesus wherever He has us.
As I write that...it sounds both idealistic and impossible...and it is impossible without God breaking our hearts and showing us where we fail to trust him. And that challenge...is a great adventure.
And our adventure is entering a new season! Which we will explain over the next few days...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment