Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Small steps...



It has been almost a 5 year process...

...of feeling God pulling us in a direction, then we would take a small step (sometimes quickly and sometime not so quickly), then He would show us our need for Him (and our lack of trust), followed by a deeper understanding of His faithfulness, and amazement at His provision.  Sometimes our perception of an opportunity was overly romantic.   Sometimes it was not as good a fit as we originally thought.  However taking the step often brought new perspective or led to a different opportunity that we had not considered.  Matt speaks to it really well at 19:20 here...

All the while The Lord continued (and continues) to refine us and clarify direction.

As I look back at where small steps have led in the last 5 years, I am still getting my arms around it.

  • I left a great paying job and started a small business with the goal of having more time for volunteering and ministry (which was really scary but really incredible).  
  • Steph and I both worked on a church staff for awhile.  
  • We even looked seriously at being missionaries in Eleuthera and flew the whole family down to "try it on".


There were seasons of great blessing, great uncertainty, great joy, and great pain...all of which God in His sovereignty used/is using for His glory.  For example, I can give three or four tangible examples of God's financial provision at exactly the right moment in the midst of great uncertainty.

So here's the conclusion...after 5 years of starting and stopping...of taking small steps...of being crushed and uplifted, we finally have some real clarity around direction in our next season (which will be in the next post).

But here is a question for you...what small step is God calling you toward?  Is there an area where He is asking you to trust Him and to take that first small step of faithfulness...not knowing where it will lead?

If there is one thing He continues to teach us, it is "I have you!"  "I created this universe...with all of its complexity and diversity and beauty...and I can provide for you."  Luke 12:22-32

Even when we are faithless, he is faithful.





No comments:

Post a Comment